The Mount Morgan School of Arts
Location: Morgan Street (1 min after Running the Cutter Statue)
Background: The Mount Morgan School of Arts hall was built in 1924, following fire destroying the original building in the late 1800’s and its replacement in 1923. Following this second fire disaster, the School of Arts Committee met the very next day to plan a new building. One year later, today’s School of Arts Hall was opened with a Grand Ball on August 20, 1924.
Over the years, the Hall has held a large and vast number of community events. Among the long list, some of the past hosted events include films, wedding receptions, concerts, dances, school formals and award presentations. The Hall has been recently refurbished, funded by the Federal Government and the Rockhampton Regional Council.
Quick Fact: One of the old School of Arts Building’s (later destroyed by fire in 1923) claim to fame includes a performance by the late Dame Nellie Melba in 1911. The current Hall was also used as an accommodation and recreation base for American Soldiers during WWII during their stay in the area.